Electric toothbrushes are operated by a battery. They clean using a bristle head which moves faster than the human hand. Electric toothbrushes deliver a lot of revolutions per minute to ensure that the teeth become much cleaner. They usually beep to show you when you should switch quadrants in the mouth. Below are some of the advantages and disadvantages of electric toothbrushes. The advantages are as follows:
- Electric toothbrushes are good for the gums. They get to the areas between the teeth where ordinary toothbrushes can’t reach. The vibrating motions of an electric toothbrush not only help in the effective cleaning of the enamel, they also provide a special massage to the gums thus stimulating the flow of blood. These toothbrushes help prevent damage to the gums as they have pressure sensors that stop if there is too much pressure being applied.
- They are very effective in people with various disabilities. Studies have shown that a comparison between manual and electric toothbrushes. In these studies, electric toothbrushes have always out shined manual toothbrushes. Over 85 percent of people who have switched from manual to electric toothbrushes have shown signs of having better and healthier dental hygiene. The rotating and vibrating options are like the ones professionals use when cleaning the teeth.
- Electric toothbrushes enhance cleaner and whiter teeth. They are more effective in removing stains and plaque. Each of their bristle head is designed to clean every part of the mouth and also areas that are hard to reach such as the molars and wisdom teeth. They also clean the tiniest cracks within the teeth. They have inbuilt timer which ensures that teeth are brushed for two minutes to avoid cases of over brushing.
The disadvantages of electric toothbrushes are:
- These toothbrushes are not readily available because they are expensive. Due to the fact that electric toothbrushes require a battery, the cost of replacing disposable batteries or even the cost of electricity used could be high. The brush heads too must be replaced and this costs higher than simply replacing a manual toothbrush.
- They might not be good for people with sensitive teeth. This is because it not easy to find electric toothbrushes with ultra soft bristles.
- They are also not suitable when traveling. This is because they are not easily portable and they also need charging and regular replacement of the battery.