If you are missing a single or a few teeth, dental implants could be the best solution to replace them. Dental implants are strong because they are placed into the jawbone and through the process called osseointegration, they will grow even stronger over time because they will fuse with the surrounding jaw bone. The healed dental implant will serve as a stable foundation for bridges, crowns and other prostheses.
There are three parts of a dental implant; the titanium implant, the abutment and the crown.
The dental implant itself
Dental implants are commonly made of titanium. Dental implants come in a variety of lengths, widths, diameters and loading platforms. There are literally hundreds of different brands available from which to choose from. Most dentists will choose a brand that they feel comfortable and confident with.
This is a small post or ‘connector ‘ that attaches to the implant itself and becomes the future support for the dental implant crown or bridge. An abutment can be either cement retained or screw retained. Abutments can be made from a variety of materials like titanium , gold or zirconia.
The crown is the one fitted into the abutment and is designed according to the missing tooth that it replaces. If multiple teeth are missing then a bridge could be supported on the dental implants. Dental restorations are usually tooth coloured and replaced the missing or damaged teeth.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
The traditional solution to missing teeth is either to replace it with bridges, removable full dentures or removable partial dentures. If you have experienced any of these, you know full well of their limitations. One major disadvantage of these solutions is that they can open doors to potential dental problems. Dental implants on the other hand offer these advantages:
- Dental implants are more flexible because they can be used to replace a single tooth, a few teeth or all of your teeth.
- Since implants are fixed, they don’t slip and click like dentures. There is no possibility of falling off like what often happens with removable dentures.
- The stability that it provides means that you can eat anything you want because it functions similar to natural teeth.
- Dental implant operations are proven to be 95% reliable. There are hundreds of satisfied patients that could testify to its reliability.
- It provides life time solution to your dental problems. This is not true with traditional bridges which often need to be replaced within five years.
Since implants are anchored to the jawbone, they helps prevent bone loss. Missing teeth can cause atrophy to the jawbone resulting in a shortened face. This is the reason why people with dentures often looked older. This can be prevented with dental implants because it helps to preserve you facial features.
For more information about dental implants, visit Hailsham Dental Centre today. We are the authority when it comes to dental implants and cosmetic dentistry. We have years of professional experience and a long line of satisfied patients to back us up.